It can be easy to jump to sign a contract because you want the problem fixed right away, but it's important to do the research and make sure you're choosing the right one for you. Here are some tips to make sure you select the best contractor for your needs.
- Check online reviews. Does the company have an Angie’s List, Home Advisor or Better Business Bureau page with reviews from previous customers? Read some of those and look at their ratings. It also may be helpful to ask them for references.
- Get multiple quotes. It’s important to shop around and make sure you are happy with the prices and the products offered by a company. This applies even if the first one seems great.
- Make sure the contractor is knowledgeable about your problem. Can they answer all of your questions to your satisfaction?
- Make sure they specialize in the work you need done. It is a much better idea to hire someone who does the type of work you need every day, than someone who is a jack of many trades and only does it a handful of times a year.
- Make sure you know who will be coming to your home to do the work. No one likes to have strangers in their home. So if a company shares information about the crew members, this will give you peace of mind and show that the employees are trustworthy.
- Take a look at their before and after photos, if available. This will give you a good idea of what your finished project will look like if completed by that contractor.