Friday, November 10th, 2017
Several years ago, Ohio Basement Authority Owner Doug Secrest had a dream of expanding his horizons and starting his own business. He previously worked with a partner in another business venture, but he wanted to play a more active role in the process and be responsible for providing nothing but the best service.
“I remember staring out my back window and I didn’t have a job. I had a family, and I was thinking in my mind ‘What do I do?’” Doug recalled. “I knew I had to take action and do something. So, I grabbed the phone and started making phone calls. I was trying to surround myself with the right people. I was doing whatever I could to get a job in this business.
“I finally got my first job, and I remember it well. It was brutally cold that day, and all I could think was ‘this is the only job I have,’” he continued. “When we left that job and finished up, I went back home and got back on the phone and just started hustling. This was hard because I didn’t have anyone pushing me. I just kept trying and sure enough, the phone started ringing. Those first phone calls were based on nothing more than quality service, great customer service, and going above and beyond. These are the things that we do at Ohio Basement Authority every day.”
This was back in 2009 when Ohio Basement Authority was born. Since then, we have grown to nearly 100 employees and we’ve helped more than 2,000 customers create healthier and safer homes so far this year. We wouldn’t have been able to grow so much – and continue to grow – without our amazing customers, employees, and support from our network and other dealers.
Just for fun, let’s take a look at some things that happened in 2009, other than the establishment of Ohio Basement Authority.
- Barack Obama was inaugurated as the 44th president of the United States.
- 12th World Championships in Athletics: Usain Bolt wins 100m and 200m.
- Slumdog Millionaire won the Oscar for Best Picture.
- Tom Brady sets NFL record for most touchdown passes in one quarter (5).
- “Viva La Vida” by Coldplay wins Best Song of the Year.
- Susan Boyle wows “Britain’s Got Talent” judges with her rendition of “I Dreamed a Dream.”
- Captain Chelsey “Sully” Sullenberger makes a successful crash landing in the Hudson River outside New York City after US Airways Flight 1549 sustained a bird strike.
- First Hispanic Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor is sworn in.
We wanted to say thank you to our customers, and we hope you live the rest of 2017 to its fullest potential!