Predicting your basement waterproofing budget is not always easy. You’ll need to have a budget prepared if you want to protect your home from future damage.
Your Basement Waterproofing Budget
When you waterproof your home, you’re taking steps to prevent future damage. As such, you’ll be operating on a flatter budget than you would if you were focusing on repairs.
On average, waterproofing a home in Columbus, OH, can run you between $3,000 and $20,000. Your costs will depend entirely on what waterproofing measures you’re interested in and whether you need any repairs throughout your home.
Before getting started, it’s best to have one of the professionals in your area tour your home and identify potential weak spots. After this initial inspection, you’ll benefit from a free quote on potential installation services. With that quote in hand, you’ll be able to more accurately plan out your waterproofing budget.
The Costs of Waterproofing Your Interior
When you waterproof your home, it’s best to start with your interior options. You can opt into any of the following waterproofing solutions:
- Sump Pump Installation – Sump pumps help you eliminate flooding in your basement. They’re among the most popular and comprehensive waterproofing solutions available to you. Expect to spend between $1,000 and $3,000 on sump pump installations, with costs varying based on the brand and the size of your home.
- Interior French Drain Installation – Interior French drains are perfect to use along with sump pumps for total basement protection, as these sub-floor drains catch leaking water and then send it to the sump pump system to be pumped out of the basement. This waterproofing measure can run you between $3,000 and $11,000. Costs will vary based on the length of drain you need.
- Crawl Space Barriers – Vapor barriers and other crawl space barriers create physical boundaries between your home and any runoff that might damage your structural supports. The cost of these barriers will vary based on the size of your crawl space. They also can be used on basement walls to help with waterproofing. On average, they run between $5,000 and $15,000.
- Dehumidification – If you’re dealing with moisture more often than seepage or leaks, then invest in a dehumidifier. Dehumidifiers cost between $1,000 and $1,500 to install, and they’ll draw moisture out of the whole of your basement. They also clean and filter the air and reduce the potential for mold growth.
- Foundation Crack Repair – If you want a contractor to fix a pre-existing foundation crack, you’ll need to prepare your budget accordingly. Foundation crack repair can cost between $1,000 and $1,200, depending on the damage. If there are more significant foundation issues like bowing walls or settlement, there is a variety of foundation repair solutions available to you, and their costs will vary depending on the size and type of damage your home has sustained.
- Additional Repairs – Be sure to leave room in your budget for unexpected costs. Miscellaneous repairs can run you between $500 and $2,000.
The Costs of Waterproofing Your Home’s Exterior
Once you’ve invested in your interior, it’s time to move outdoors. The cost of exterior waterproofing measures breaks down as follows:
- Downspouts – Downspouts drive water away from the perimeter of your home and can cost between $750 and $1,550 to install. Downspouts should angle down and away from your foundation, and they can be placed in the ground.
- Exterior French Drains – Like your interior French drain, exterior French drains use perimeter pipelines to move water away from your basement. Installation costs between $4,000 and $6,000, depending on the length of drain you need and does not typically include any re-landscaping costs.
The Cost of Labor
The contractors in Columbus, OH, request compensation both for the materials they use to waterproof your home and for installation labor. Costs will vary based on your unique situation, and they are included in the project estimate you’ll receive from the inspector who evaluates your home.
Is this work worth the cost? Absolutely. If you want to protect your home from the worst of Columbus’ weather, reach out to the professional foundation and basement repair professionals in your area. You’ll benefit from a home inspection and a free quote on the waterproofing services recommended for your home.